Friday, December 08, 2006

Garlic Pickle


It was that time of the year when Chaturmaas the four month sacred period was going to start. I had some garlic bulbs that were unused and I was not ready to use garlic in anything and everything I cooked. So decided to make a pickle. This year I had already made 4 other preserves hence didn't want to go about making the masala myself. Also there was a packet of Bedekar's Pickle masala lying around that I wanted to use. Here is what I did.

Ingredients

3 bulbs garlic
1 table spoon Bedekar's pickle masala
1/2 lime juice
1/2 cup oil

Peeled the pods and cleaned to get the garlic pods. Fried them in oil for 2 mins. Let it cool for 5 mins added masala, lime juice and mixed. Cooled completely through the day. Before going to bed transfered the pickle into a dry jar. It gave me about 300 ml jar pickle. Generally we start using pickles as soon as they are made even if they haven't aged yet. This pickle was fortunate it aged for 4 months.

The first trial was with curd rice served to my friends and they gave a thumbs up!

P.S: I realize now my pickles have a story each attached to it especially the Kairiche Pickle. Will share my labours love with you soon and the Upadvyap we did for it all for the love of home made pickle with the specific type of mangoes that we like so much. Friends I will be away till next year so Happy New Year! in advance.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anjali,

    Thanks for the receipe.

    "HAPPY NEW YEAR"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tasted this before at my aunty's place in Balgaum, didn't know the recipe but :). Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anjali visiting your blog fo the first time!You have some very nice recipes.I will visit here for more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Sumitha. Hope you enjoy everytime.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail