Saturday, October 14, 2017

Landed in Paradise



After it we went to Gateway of India enjoyed the sea breeze a bit and then the husband mentioned he wanted to try out Paradise. At around 10 pm we landed in Paradise literally and pun-nily.

As the husband parked the bike I rushed in knowing that we were late and it was time to shutter down for the day. I pleaded with Jimmy uncle that we were hungry and need to be fed and that I am their fan. He smiled big when I mentioned we both featured in the same episode of The Great Indian Rasoi with Chef Ranveer Brar. Immediately he instructed his boys to serve us.

I seated AC first, asked for the menu and then looked at Jimmy uncle and asked 'anything veg?'. Like a true Parsi he mocked in response, 'who is veg?'.

We settled for salli boti and rotli for the man and veg fried rice with gravy for me. 

While the order was brought to the table we discussed about common old friends who have an office in the same building. It was such a lovely feeling coming back to Paradise with my husband and discussing old and new times even though he didn't know me and we were the last customers so an almost personal service. Even the staff is lovely, they believe in feeding and did not grumble even though it was closing time.


Homey Parsi food is the characteristic of  Paradise. The salli was so fine and the husband was happy with just that.


I enjoyed my veg fried rice with the gravy. This was Parsi Chinese, the gravy I mean. But so comforting like Mom's cooking.


Oh yes there was Pallonji raspberry to wash down the food. The servers know to ask the right questions to especially the Parsi client with a twinkle in the eye.


Jimmy uncle chose our dessert for us. He said,'Share a lagan nu custard'. We did not want to eat dessert but he knows how to tempt. AC being the finicky kind asked me to make a taste check and these days he trusts my newly developed palate for Parsi food. When he saw my face light up and signal a superb. He immediately wanted a full piece for himself. Its different from the usual Lagan nu custard in that it is served chilled and ladled with warm sugar syrup over it. I could taste a little bit of semolina in it but it worked well to make it grainy in the right way and for me the best thing was it was not eggy at all. The cardamom and nutmeg notes are subtle. The custard is outstanding, living up to the name!


Address: Sind Chambers, S. B. S., M, Causeway Road, Apollo Bandar, Colaba, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400005, India

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail