Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Recycled Dhokla


I was born a Koli but the period between 8 years-16 years of my life I lived in the Gujarathi / Parsee heartland Fort. Sometimes it makes me laugh how places get their names. This southern area in Mumbai was supposed to have been a Fort so the obvious but I do not see even a single trace of the Fort.
Fort is downtown Mumbai. Living in the area meant having a childhood without open places to play after school unless ofcourse if you went to Bombay gymkhana or Harnimon Circle. I regert I never did learn to ride a bicycle like most children do. Spent most after school hours reading books which were in plenty on the streets, school library and tagging along with MJ kaka to Petit library. I will write a separate post on Walking to the Petit Library with Kaka as it was never just that. Hey I'm just straying away.
So back to Dhokla. Yeah I was saying how could I not like dhokla living in this mini Gujarath. Many times there would be excess dhokla which Dad recycled into this snack. This dish though made from leftover dhokla in the past. We like it so much at home that now we make Dhokla in the morning control temptation to eat it till evening and then when it is too cold to be enjoyed as dhokla transform it into this dish. However never try to make it using Nylon dhokla or dhokla made from besan it will not lend the same texture. Try it and tell me.
Ingredients

1 cup leftover Dhokla
1 tablespoon thin shev
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon toasted cummin seeds powder
1/2 teaspoon toasted corriander seed powder
grated fresh coconut and
cilantro for garnish
Crumble the Dhokla in a plate and save. In a bowl add lime juice and sugar and dissolve. Mix this juice with the dhokla crumbs using a fork. Sprinkle the three powders and mix again with the fork. To serve top it up with thin shev the ones used in bhels. Garnish with fresh grated coconut and loads of cilantro.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I had to look up Dhokla because I wasn't sure what it was. Seems like there is alot of different things you can do with it.

    By the way, the Leftover Tuesdays Roundup is now posted. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Indian food here in the U.S. but haven't come across Dhokla, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, but I don't know what shev is. Could you clarify?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel thanks for hosting.

    I know dhokla is not know to all so I gave the link.

    As for your Mary's question about shev. They are fried noodles made from chickpea flour. Mostly consumed as muchies own their own or as toppings. Look up for tikhat shev here if you wanna try but the ones I used here as topping are without chilli powder and used a fine slots to press.

    Cookingchat I have embedded a link for dhokla try it out. Its healthy and full of protiens.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail