Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Cauliflower Biryani

with Pav Bhaaji Masala





In this world of buy 1+get 1 free, I walked out of the nearby D-Mart with a load of stuff that I need and that I did not need. So what do you do with 2 packets of Pav Bhaaji Masala? You make Biryani :).



It was a nice cool afternoon in Mumbai when my cuz and me were so caught up in discussion that we were hardly interested in cooking and eating. This was our special sister to sister bonding time that we had got together after long. While Charu bathed Pranav, my nephew, I went to make a quick biryani that I served with plain curd and papad.


At the table, Pranav quite surprised me when he squealed, "There is Pav Bhaaji in my Biryani~~~~" Even Charu was stunned that her child of 9 yrs could spot that right where as she just mentioned that it tasted good customarily.


Here is the single pot recipe.


Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower
2 tomatoes chopped
2 big onions chopped
1 cup raw rice
2 tablespoon Everest Pav Bhaaji Masala
2 green chilies chopped
1 handful chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon red chili powder
2 cups water
2 tablespoon oil

First clean the cauliflower and split the florets. Immerse them in salt and turmeric water for 20 mins. This will disinfect it.

In a pressure cooker add the oil and heat on medium flame. Fry the onions it golden brown then add the cauliflower. Now add the salt and allow the florets to soften a bit. Later add tomatoes and all the spice powders and green chilies. Fry till oil separates. At this point add the cleaned and washed rice. Mix well to coat it with oil. Add water to cover rice. Close the lid and allow 2 whistles. It should be cooked right, not too soft. I used Ambe Mohor rice which is fragrant and short grained but Basmati would we good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail