Sunday, June 20, 2010

Jumpstart with Ragi Shevige Bhat


Ragi Shevige! I exclaimed as I spotted it on the shelves. These are not common and knowing it is from the Anil brand you are promised of the thinnest possible ones. I picked up the 180 gms packet. It costs only 13 Rs. Ragi is a locally grown millet so you are helping the farmers by buying it besides getting your power packed calcium dose. Though I had been introduced to Ragi or Nachani as it is known in Marathi early in life, it is rarely that we had it as part of our food. Here in Karnataka it is more ubiquitous.

Keep a packet handy and give your day a jumpstart with Ragi Shevige Bhat for breakfast. You will need just your pantry staples.

Ingredients

1 packet of Ragi (180 gms of Anil)
1 big onion, chopped fine
1 green chili chopped fine
few curry leaves
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons urad dal
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
salt to taste
1/2 lime

Boil 3 cups of water. Add the ragi shevige to it. Press it down so the boiled water cooks the shevige evenly. Stir once and keep covered. Till you prepare the seasoning.

Heat oil and fry the urad dal to a golden hue, splutter mustard seeds after that. Add the onions and fry till transluscent. The chopped green chilies go in after this and the curry leaves to add a color contrast besides the fragrance and heat. Now add the shevige and mix with a fork to make them fluffy and distribute the seasoning through out the bhaat. Cover and let it rest for 5 mins before serving.

Mix once and then fill mould with the cooked shevige and unmould onto a plate. You may sprinkle some grated coconut over it. I did not. Yummy and healthy Ragi Shevige gives you a jumstart and keeps you full till lunch time.

6 comments:

  1. That is yummy and healthy dish, thanks for sharing dear..

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anjali, first time here..the dish sounds interesting..very yummy..have tried something else with this same anil ragi semiya but not this one exactly..

    You have a nice space here..drop on at my blog when you get time and try to participate in the event I'm hosting for june. I'm following your blog.
    www.nithubala.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very healthy and light tiffin...but I hardly find these ragi stuff in the Indian stores here:( When I find them, I will be trilled to fix this recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is my fav semiya....but when I made first time with the insatnt mix it was a flop...Urs look perfect, I just luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharmilee thanks for your comment. This is not a mix it is ready made semiya and I just had to blanch them and do the tadka.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the rustic flavor of nachni and I'm happy to see an increase in ragi products over the years. I doubt if I could find these sevige here though. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail