Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pumpkin Halwa

In an attempt to eat lot of vegetables Dad has piled up the fridge. One can't be eating all types of gourds in a single week. A little pumpkin looks lovely on the shelves of the green grocer but I find it tasteless to make a subzi. Now that I am off sugar I thought of trying pumpkin halwa expecting that the vegetable has an inherent sweetness and a substitute for sugar should give a dessert that Dad and I both can enjoy. My Dad loves his sugar quotient in food even today at 69yrs though I have to put a check on myself.

Here is what I did.


Ingredients

2 cups peeled and shredded pumpkin
1/4 cup of Sugar free Natura
1 teaspoon of ghee
7-8 cloves
1/2 cup milk
Roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish

Heat the ghee for till molten. Add the cloves. Let them pop. Stir in the shredded pumpkin. Cook till translucent. Now add the sugar free natura and top up with milk. Let it simmer till the ghee separates and pumpkin looks glazed. Stir intermittently to avoid sticking to the vessel.

Enjoy warm sprinkled with roasted pumpkin seeds. Its cold in Bangalore so warm is good for us.

8 comments:

  1. yummy simple and delicious tempting halwa.
    indu srinivasan
    kattameethatheeka.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am yet to venture into the world of dessert making with pumpkin. I have seen many a baked goodies with this too....but somehow I feel I wont be able to balance everything. this halwa looks yum...and I need something healthy like this to satiate my sweet teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think that this is a easy recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sayantani yes in Halloween season the blogoshpere is colored the bright orange of pumpkin with everyone baking something with it. That's what made me think a halwa would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your blog very much.Pumpkin halwa looks yummy and delicious.
    You are welcome at my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail