Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Blessed With A Brother

This meal was cooked for Vijay Bhau and Mangala Vahini in gratitude for all that they do for me.

I don't think I have mentioned this here before I am blessed with a brother not of blood but love that has grown over 45 years. Vijay bhau came to our home when I was a toddler. He was my family friend's son and he was brought to Mumbai to continue his studies after his Std. X.

As a kid I was very mischievous so he was my punching bag. He was my protector outside the home and also who made me tough unbeknownst. I played with his group of friends, I learnt never to take it lying. He used to come to school to pick me up and I wouldn't budge until he bought me an icecream from Yankee Doodles. 

My Aai loved him a lot and so did he, he called her Kaki. He was the obedient son and I the difficult one. He helped my mother in every chore. My mother taught him everything from making chapati to cleaning the home to shopping for vegetables and even haggling with the bhaajiwalas. She always gave his example to me that he was so good at all the chores while I refused to learn these things as a kid.



His life has been challenging but he did not break. He went through everything like a warrior. His wife and our Mangala Vahini has supported him quietly and like a strong pillar. He has taken care of his blood family consisting of 2 brothers and 2 sisters. Educating his younger brother and getting his sister married. One of his sister was a heart patient who he took care of till she was alive. He has made sacrifices for the other brother that he should be indebted to all his life. However life always throws a googly people for whom you sacrifice the most are the most ungrateful ones.

He suffered ill health few years ago and I feared if that would have a long lasting impact on his life. I am glad that he is back to his energetic self again. Last week he and Mangala Vahini spent time with me, it definitely made me happy. Both Vijay bhau and Mangala Vahini are my rocks. They are the ones who rush to be my side and I don't even need to call out to them. I count my blessing and pray to God may this bond grow ever sweeter 🙏

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail