Wednesday, October 23, 2024

My First Crush



He passed away. 

The last I saw him was when I was still in school may be. He had finished his study of medicine at Grant medical college. His journey was amazing, from primary schooling in Thal and later in a municipal school in Colaba. He grew up to become a Physician and had a long practice of 40 years in Backbay transit camp. 

My Dwarkanath mama’s son Parshuram and he were buddies and classmates in Thal until they grew up. Sadly Parshuram left this world very young in his 20s.

Doctor would visit my home along with his kaka or my MJ kaka. That is the last image of him I remember. A tall dark and handsome man. Since we were family friends from the same village we would see each other often for holidays. 

I recollect me sitting in the woven old relaxing chairs in  our family home in Thal in the upper floor hall and stealing glances at him from behind a book. He in his white cotton sadra lehenga a la Hrishikesh Mukherjee film hero. I wrote him letters years later when he was interning at Alibag. I wonder if he ever received those letters in Thal that I posted from Mumbai. I never received any replies.

I was in my graduate year and my exams coming up when I got to know that his family was looking for a bride. I sent Baba and PJ kaka with a proposal. I had not finished college yet and wasn’t a doctor so the proposal fell through. 

I was very depressed and remember not eating that night. I flunked that year. Later however we never got to see each other as he got married to a doctor and his practice kept him busy. 

While he was my inspiration to study well and to become something in life turned into my biggest goal.

सतगती लाभो तुला किसन 🙏🏽 आणि खूप खूप प्रेम ♥️🌹

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail