Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Dhekaas Recipe, After the Live Event



Presenting to you a cake from our Koli repertoire that has all your fancy tags #glutenfree #fatfree #veg and #nosweat recipe. You did not expect it right? 

Made this on the live today with @historywali for her fabulous series #Historyonaplate I loved to see all my friends cheering me on. Asking so many questions some we could answer as they were about the recipe and some about culture and anecdotes I will answer at leisure on #talkativeanjali going forward. 

I briefly did an intro of Koli cuisine. Reminiscing about my grandpa through it as I highlighted the risk and skill involved in the lives of Kolis. The heartwarming memory behind the dish I made today Dhekaas. The socio-cultural significance of the ingredients used. 



Here is the recipe for you to recreate it.

Ingredients

1 cup broken rice, Kani in Koli
Half cup powdered jaggery
Half cup fresh grated coconut
1 teaspoon ginger powder/ sunth

In a vessel preferably a shallow pan cook the broken rice with equal amount of water. The rice should be fluffy. I used Pressure cooker today to cut time on live.

After cooking the broken rice. Mix in powdered jaggery, fresh grated coconut and ginger powder in and mix well. Cook on heat till it starts leaving the sides of the vessel. Switch of heat. Traditionally it was baked on embers on top and bottom. Bake in the oven at highest temp till you get a golden top. About 15-20 mins. Let it cool completely. Overnight is better. 

Serve it slightly warm with cold moulded white butter or ghee. I added jaggery coated cashews for texture on the side. 

Enjoy a piece of oral Koli history through my trip into nostalgia!

Those who attended the live a huge thank you and those who missed it you have the next whole day to watch it on Shubhra's stories. I would like to hear back from you. If you make this Koli style cake called Dhekaas in your kitchen it would be a big thrill for me to see your takes on it. So go ahead and post pictures and tag me. This time I am all open to tags 😁


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail