Thursday, November 02, 2006

Kanda bhajji

Added pics on 27th April 2008

Kanda or Onion bhajji is an anytime snack yet it stands out as rainyday snack. During the monsoons that are really heavy in Mumbai and everything comes to a virtual standstill many Mumbaikar dreams of sitting at the window to watch the pitter-patter of the rain with Onion bhajji and chaha (tea). One need not be a poet to enjoy the joy of a good kanda bhajji with tea. Yet it has found place in many peoms, writtings and anyone romantic at heart. I too grew up on this fantasy of sharing a cuppa and onion bhajji in my balcony with my beloved whispering sweet nothings on a rainy day. Is someone reading this ;). In true Maharashtrian style....isshhh(audible blush).

Ingredients
2 onions
2 green chillies
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 handful chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
2 pods garlic
1 small piece of ginger
1/2 cup chickpea flour
Oil to fry

Halve the onions and slice to make long thin julienes. Add salt and keep aside for 5 mins till it leaves water. Meanwhile make coarse powder of coriander seeds, cumin seed, ginger and garlic separately by just crushing. Add to the onions. Mix in the chili powder, turmeric, cilantro, chopped green chillies and the chick pea flour. Add just enough chickpea flour that the water from the onions can hold. The mix should be done with a light hand the onions should be just coated with the masala and flour. Do not shape the bhajji in to balls. Just pick up with your fingers and fry in hot oil till golden colored. These onion bhajji are really crispy and crunchy and not like bondas.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you have going here! I am still salivating after reading the recipe for amboshiche lonche! Yum! yum! yum! And I don't believe that kolis ever abstain from eating fish! :-D How is that even possible?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm I know ...I know..Yeah my entire family is vegetarian. It started as a religious choice they made. I stopped at age 16 till then I was a NV though my family had stopped. I have even given up fasts mid day to eat fresh lobsters my Mama got for me from Alibag.

    It was the scene of fresh white prawns dying out of water that made me stop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail