Sunday, February 06, 2011

Methi Dal


I have not been cooking too much these days though I look like I am on a blogging marathon. It is a saturday today and there is no chance of me going out to eat so had to make something really homely and tasty. This is yet again a recipe inspired by my neighbor Rani from Tata's. 

It is inspired by an Andhra dal but here I have used a ubiquitous Kanda lasun Maharashtrian chutney made famous by the vada pao. This chutney though more complex than the garlic chili masala from Vijaywada it tastes quite the same.

Ingredients

1 cup toor dal
2 cups methi, cleaned and chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
few curry leaves
1 green chili slit
2 teaspoons oil
salt to taste

In a pressure cooker cook the dal along with chopped methi, add kanda lasun chutney, turmeric powder, asafoetida and water. Once removed from cooker mash well. Prepare the poppu/ tadka. Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, crackle up the curry leaves and green chili. Add the salt as much as you like. Add it to the mashed dal and allow the dal to simmer. It should be a creamy consistency. 

I had an unused 1/2 tomato in the fridge which I added to the dal. That's an extra.

Serve over steamed rice. I had chutney pudi, mango pickle, papad and curd in my Thali. Loved the whole process of mixing the dal and rice and finger licking. I think I cooked after a week today!

5 comments:

  1. Yumm, sooo droolworthy and comforting dal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anjali, khup divsaani aaley ithey. Was reading on the phone but commenting was too cumbersome on the phone...Love the new look of your website! Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonia welcome back here. Muli kashya aahet? happy atleast someone liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lentils are so good for the health! Not only do they provide us with great nutritional value, but they also give us that extra punch needed to keep our energy levels high through the day! Awesome recipe Anjali! For some expert tips and suggestions on healthy eating habits visit our blog at Knorrseven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi i just stumbled upon this blog .i know my query is not related to food but would you be willing to translate the koli song me hai koli for me.My daughter is performing to this song and wants to know the meaning .

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail