Friday, December 25, 2009

Apple Crumble And The Zestyness


Ho Ho Ho....Merry Christmas Every One!

When you are looking for an easy peasy dessert this season without much sweating to do then Apple crumble is the right thing.

This is a concoction arrived at after much googling. I have also learnt to not follow proportions while baking such dishes but rather depend on my instincts. Yet I am putting down the recipe for repetitions sake if I want to do it. Rather I have planned to do.

We have been eating right for more than a month now. The dessert craving shows up unexpectedly and needs satisfying. That's when this got made. It will again be made for a team potluck that we are organizing.

I have become an addict of Zesty notes in every thing. I love orange zest in any baked treat. So this one became predominantly orangey. We ate piles two times in a day. My team is going to love it I can tell already.

Ingredients

For the apple base
2 apples chopped in tiny cubes
1 tablespoon orange zest
juice of 1 orange
1/2 tablespoon of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon of fine grain sugar


For the crumble topping
1.5 tablespoon of all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of fine grain sugar
2 tablespoons of butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
pinch of salt

Grease a baking tin, I used a loaf pan. Toss chopped apples in orange juice, coat with sugar and orange zest. Finally dust it with all purpose flour. Transfer into the baking tin.

In a dry bowl. Mix the sugar into the all purpose flour along with a pinch of salt and cinnamon powder. Rub in the butter to get a crumbly mix. Top the apples lined in the baking tin with the crumble. Press it down gently with a spatula.

Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins @ 180 deg celsius till the apples start bubbling and the top turns a crisp brown. If you find that the sugar is caramelizing in 15 mins slip on the lid. Mine became a darker shade of brown but tasted awesome. Wish there was some icecream to go with it., it is winter time and I am not stocking any right now. I am visualizing fresh cream will be great with it at potluck time.

This time we are planning to pass on some love in the team. Everyone has been asked to write a word of appreciation for the team member/s who has been of help and support. We will collect the notes is a bowl and read out randomly during the celebrations. Joy of giving is what Christmas stands for isn't it?

This post races to Nupur's 7-day recipe marathon starting Dec 25 until Dec 31, 2009. Happy compiling girl.

We will have fun. Hope you too enjoy like us. I'd like to hear what you did for Christmas. Do write in.

7 comments:

  1. aha..nice dessert.. I too love lemon zest in many cakes. it gives it a nice and warm taste.

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a simple and tasty dessert! Perfect for the marathon kick-off...thanks, Anjali :)

    I love the idea of writing little notes of appreciation. This will be remembered later during times when the work stress is high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! wonderful crumble, would like to give this a whirl sometime.

    Happy Holidays! and Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Dessert! Apple crumble is in my TO DO list for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make it sound easy and it looks appealing.I will give it a try for my son's winter party coming up in the new year.I am sure this will be a hit with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anjali,

    My mom makes an apple crisp in similar fashion -- lovely idea to add orange zest and juice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am like you in that I absolutely adore zest-y flavors ... I love how simple and delicious this is, Anjali!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail