Sunday, December 06, 2009

Aloo Methi

Aloo Methi is a simple stir fry for the soul. In my home it is made mostly in winter. I love the large chunks of boiled potato coated with the methi. Many times it is Kasuri methi and sometimes fresh methi. We love it with Phulkas. Yesterday I served with steaming hot Gujarati Kadhi. The Bangalore weather demands a warm sip with every meal.

This time I used both. I wanted to finish off the little Kasuri Methi I had kept for a long time.

Ingredients

6-7 Bolied potatoes, cubed
1 bunch Fresh methi chopped fine
2 tablespoon Kasuri methi
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspon red chili powder
1/4 teaspoon Aamchur/ dry mango powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
salt to taste.


Heat oil in a kadhai. Splutter mustard seeds. Add the cubed potatoes. Toss in turmeric powder and chili powder. Add the kasuri and fresh methi. Mix well. Let is cook till you get slightly golden crispened potatoes. add the aamchur, salt and sugar. Cook for another 5 mins.

Hot phulkas with a mound of Aloo methi on top transports me to the lush green fields in Punjab, enjoying my roti from the hand just like a farmer.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a classic! I adore such rustic meals.

    trupti
    the spice who loved me

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail