Friday, February 23, 2024

Chenna Meetha & Shingada on the Puri Beach


The delights of Puri beach! Rasgulla, Madan Mohan, Chenna poda and Shingada the stuff that I gorged on. You will find Kavadis carrying aluminium tapelas and roaming on the beach. Take my word, stop them and let them open a delicious experience to you for just 70₹ if you decide to buy 4-5 varieties. 5 shingada 20₹, Rasagulla 10₹, Madan Mohan ₹10, Chenna poda 30₹. This was recoed by my lovely friend Sai @mycookingcanvas and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of these treats on the beach. These sellers work on commission for local sweet makers. The cleanliness is noteworthy, tongs are used to serve. The milk quality in Jagannath Puri is extremely good. I must mention that I love the Odia Rasagulla more than the Bengali one. All the Chenna meetha quality and taste is way above anywhere else. Even though I was introduced to a whole range of Chenna sweets by Bengal! 


Shingada are small sized samosas with cubed potato filling unlike Punjabi samosas. These are fried in mustard oil. Flaky and mildly spiced. 


After the beach treats I would have tea in terracotta glasses called bhaar. I am told this is a new trend here but loved it.


Tempted to try these?


On two evenings in Puri I gave dinner a miss after my beach shenanigans.

Then while returning to the hotel I picked Jhal mudi on both these days. Actually on the second day I took a double pack 😁  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail