Friday, February 23, 2007

Lal Bhopla Stir Fry


This is a quick stir fry very tasty and goes well with a hot roti of any kind. The Lal bhopla or Red Pumkin can be cooked in several different ways like raita, with gavar or in a gravy. The red pumkin can be used in cooking fasting foods too it is acceptable. Read more on wiki about Pumkins.
Ingredients
1 cup red pumkin cut into 2 inch fingers
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 pinch asofoetida
few curry leaves
Optionally garnish with grated fresh coconut
1 teapoon oil
salt to taste
Heat oil on high splutter mustard seeds. Add the asofoetida, curry leaves, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Then in go the pumkin fingers stir and cook till soft but till pumkin holds shape. Remove from heat and garnish with coconut.

9 comments:

  1. simple and nice.. the humble pumpkin can actualy make such lovely things - from sabzi to kheer to raita.

    I love this bhopalyachi bhaaji that you get in vidarbha - they call it baakar bhaji - with chincha, gul, khaskhas etc. do have the recipe for that ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Vinaya I haven't heard of it. Mail it to me. You got me curious with ingredients as well as the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know why but we hardly eat Lal Bhopla. Bhoplache bharit also taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Anjali.I make similar with Butternut Squash and I love the plate presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anjali,
    Thanx for visiting my blog:)Bhoplyachi bhaji chaan lagte:)
    I liked your simple version of this bhaaji:)
    I just read Vinaya's comment of baakar bhaji. This recipe is from Ruchira- For 1/2 kg bhopla take 1/4 wati khaskhas, 1/4 wati grated dry coconut, 1/4wati til.Dry roast n grind them.
    3 teaspoon goda masala,tamarind pulp-little ,gud,
    Make phodni add some methi seeds then bhopla pieces. Cook the pieces then add some water n dry masala(til , khaskhas etc)chilli powder ,tamarind pulp , jaggery ,goda masala.Cook for few more minutes.
    Try it, it tastes good:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi anjali
    i love the red pumpkin..the picture itself is making me hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lal bhopla. We should try out a recipe for pie with it..?
    To respond to vinay's request and your curiosity, check my blog for baakar bhaji. It is my MIL's recipe. I have a few great Maharashtrian recipes up my sleeve after all!

    (severely tech challenged: Can't work the 'link' in. So, you have to search it on my blog! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. HKJ yeah many consider it 'vargya' don't know why?

    Asha Yeah butternut too would work well.

    Archana thanks for the recipe will try soon.

    Anita yeah your MIL's are true Puneri.

    ReplyDelete
  9. forgot to add Anita I have tasted savoury pumkin muffins too somewhere they were lovely. Pie too is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail