Friday, January 05, 2007

Spicy Narali Bhat - JFI for Coconut



JFI for Coconut said Ashwini's post and as I read a whole lot of recipes swarmed in my head. This was going to be really good one as India is a peninsula and a whole lot of coconut used in recipes all over the country. I was away for 3 weeks and after returning I was drained due to cleaning the house and catching up on things that seemed to be infinite. Then yesterday at the cafeteria at work I tasted this Coconut rice from my friend's plate that was really amazing. Being a Koli a sweet Narali bhat is often made for naivedya at home but this one was different. These days I try to cut out the sugar in most things and end up eating sugar loaded other things :) ;). Did I hear Dad guffaw in the background. I had to post it but the picture will follow later. This recipe I have made up from what I tasted. It is simple yet satiating. So here you go.

Ingredients

1 cup rice
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 inch ginger piece shredded
1/2 teaspoon urad dal
few curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon oil
2 chopped chilies
pinch of asofeotida
salt to taste.
1 1/2 cup water.


To begin wash and drain the rice on the strainer and leave it there for 1/2 hr. Later in a pressure pan add the oil splutter the mustard seeds add the asofeotida stir. Look out of the kitchen window for a split second come back add the curry leaves fry a bit then add the urad dal fry till golden. Now add the chopped chillies and the ginger shreds stir. Time to add the grated coconut and fry till you have a nice dry seasoning. Just 2 mins alright. Last add the rice and mix well so that all rice grains are coated with oil and seasoning. Top up with water and pressure cook for just 1 whistle. Open the pressure pan and mix lightly. Do not garnish. Fluffy coconut rice is ready to eat. This Narali bhat will not give you a guilt for being a glutton.


This recipe is from my workplace cafeteria however when I'm making it I shall add 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds or a few fried cashew nuts for the nutty flavor.


Ashwini I request you to include this one but if youre closed thats alright.
Updated: 5th Feb 2007
Made this for my packed lunch box sometime ago so adding the picture now.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe! Good entry for JFI!:)

    Happy 2007!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anjali no problem dear. I will include it in the round up. Cococnut rice sounds too good to give a miss ;-)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anjali,coconut rice is great.I love it..I make it exactly the same way!what a coincidence..I like to taste the coconut in my coconut rice..nice one.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey gals thanks for your comments.

    Ashwini I'm thrilled you included it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow.i really liked ur coconut rice..thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail