Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Tomatochi Bhaaji


Tomatochi bhaaji is a dish made by my Aaji on every single visit that I pay her. She thinks I am still a kid who loves it but I do. When I was a child and ate non-veg the food cooked for me was mostly chicken curry with hard boiled egg with other paraphernalia but after I turned vegetarian this bhaaji is a must during my visits.

Here is her hit recipe.

Ingredients

1/2 kg tomatoes. Each cut up into 8 parts
1 cup grated coconut
1 table spoon of oil
1 pinch asofoetida
1 cup coarsely chopped onions
5 to 6 green chillies
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
salt to taste
fresh coriander to garnish

First heat the oil in a flat pan. Add the asofoetida, chillies, onions. Fry till onions turn pink. Then in goes the turmeric and tomatoes. Fry till tomatoes are just soft and feel cooked but are still holding shape. Do not overcook the tomatoes will turn to paste. Add the salt mix and remove from heat. Garnish with coconut and fresh coriander. This bhaji is so yummy it can be had as is to or your favorite type of roti. See it here the red one ofcourse.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds so good Anjali.If it's from Ajji,it must be great!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Anjali,tomatochi bhaji chya recipe sathi dhanyawad..mi shodhatch hoto..

    Amit

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious -- and something I can make here easily as we have all those ingredients. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum makes something similar minus the coconut, but adds cumin and mustard seeds to the oil until it sputters, then a few curry leaves to the onion, hing and chillies along with ginger and garlic minced. Its really good with pulau or alu matar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have this wonderful bhaji with simple mugachya dalichi khichdi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Archana, that's the versatility of tomatochi bhaaji. How about a toasted sandwich with this filling?

      Delete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail