Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Green Tomato Topping on Crackers


Finger Foods are something I love and they bring out the real creative side. I love to decorate crackers with a variety of toppings. Here is a lovely recipe for a chutney that is so versatile that it can be used for topping as I have done here or as a spread for sandwich, in a Thali with other assortments and even sauce with fried food. Its simple and done in a zip zap zoom.

Ingredients

1 cup green tomatoes quartered
1 cup red onions
2-3 green chillies
handful fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 pods garlic (I did not use it)


First heat the oil in a shallow frypan. Splutter mustard seeds add in asafoetida. Dump the onions and fry till translucent. Then in go the tomatoes, chillies and cilantro. Saute till very soft. It might get pasty not to worry anyways we need to grind it. Lastly add the sugar and salt and blend in a blender to get a smooth paste.
I did not use any water as I was going to use it as a topping for this recipe. Incase you want to thin it a bit for other use then go ahead and add a bit of water.

Serving:
Placed the Britannia Cream Cracker in a plate layed a square slice of cheese and topped with the Green tomato topping and stuck in the cilantro sprig in it. Bordered the plate with dots of the same topping and cilantro sprigs.

7 comments:

  1. my mouth is watering !!
    i looove tomataoes and this looks yummmy. Cheese + Tomato + Crackers = :D )))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anjali,Tomato topping looks fabulous and I started salivating just by looking at it!YUM!:))

    Thanks for trying the Paniyarams too!:)) Great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Altoids?! Ah, the garlic and the onion!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anjali,

    This is nice idea with cheee,tomato topping on crackers....
    Its looks good ,thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tomatoes look sooo good. I wish I had this for a snack right now. Instead I'll file it away for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi anjali
    nice one..we can say this a s tomato pachadi(pickle)..right//nice blog u have here..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Vinaya, Asha, Ushi, Vanessa and Swapna.

    Anita you reminded me about a friend who always complained that her guy stinks of the pasta he seems to be eating all the time. My advice to her was to return the stink early morning after chewing some raw garlic! Both of us guffawed at it;). After that day she never complained again LOL.

    Frankly but I use altoids just to shake me up a little bit when I have things to get done and ofcourse after gorging on smelly foods.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail