Saturday, April 25, 2009

Paushtik Thikhat Khichadi


In the morning I fried Kanda bhajji and Banana Fritters for breakfast and when I have a good breakfast I generally skip lunch. Yes but Dad does not do that. He was craving for khichadi yesterday so I thought let me make it for him for lunch. It turned out so good that I had to post it immediately.

Well this version is Paushtik, Sanskrit for nutritious as it incorporates green leafy vegetables plus it is oh so good and creamy with the dals in it.

There was a time in my career when I was able to cook just one meal at home in Mumbai. The other meal would be made either by Dad or P Kaka. It used to be a challenge to get Hrushi to eat greens and he was not a kid but a full grown adult. So many times Dad played these tricks that normally mothers try on toddlers. So this is actually Dad's recipe.

Ingredients

Makes only 1 serving

1/2 cup rice
1 tablespoon moog dal
1/8 cup tur dal
2 tomatoes
1 onion
2 cups leafy greens
(plus you could include any other vegetable that you fancy)
salt
1 teaspoon ghee/ oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder

tadka/ seasoning
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
4-5 curry leaves

In a small pressure cooker put together the rice and the two dals. Wash thoroughly. Add the chopped onion, tomatoes, greens and vegetables. Add all the spice powders. Pour about 2 glasses of water and a teaspoon of oil or ghee. Close the lid and let it whistle for 20 mins. This will ensure you get mush.

After cooling the pressure cooker completely add salt and then prepare the tadka in a separate spoon by heating the oil in it. Then follow by adding asafoetida, mustard seeds and curry leaves in that order. Once the mustard seeds crackle add it quickly to the cooked khichadi. Mix vigorously to get a nice creamy texture. The tadka thing is what I do. My Dad hates to use an extra utensil if he can do without it so he would first make the tadka then just add every thing into the pressure cooker and let it whistle. Yet I think a tadka is more aromatic so try both ways as you will make this often I gaurantee.

Serve hot is a bowl so that it does not cool quickly. It has to be enjoyed steaming hot. I never thought you guys would search on this blog for this Tikhat khichadi week after week after seeing it in some of my posts. So here it is and I have made it Paushtik too. Keep a small bowl of crunchie munchies by the side if you wish. You will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail